Tips for Donating Goods
Spring Cleaning Anyone?
As homeowners clear out homes, garages and storerooms and businesses need to clear out seasonal dead merchandise in the annual spring cleaning right, many may be considering donating household items to charities. There is no better time than now to pick up helpful tips about donating goods to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, find out more about donating automobiles too. Discover the tax advantages provided under law to encourage charitable giving.
Before packing the car with household goods to donate, here’s what Homeowners need to know:
- Always contact a the ReStore before donating to verify that it will accept your items.
- Sometimes we can arrange to pick items up; other items require donors to drop them off. Keep in mind that when picking up items we set our own schedules and may not be immediately available to come to your house.
- We need goods, not trash. Donate items that are in good and useable condition. Otherwise, we will have to spend precious resources in trash removal of unusable donated items, money that would otherwise be spent on programs and services. In addition, charitable giving provisions of the Pension Protection Act of 2006 allow tax deductions only for items in good condition.
- Keep detailed records of the items you donate. Ask for receipts if you plan to request a tax deduction during tax time. Make sure the contribution is tax-deductible. If an organization is labeled “tax-exempt,” this does not necessarily mean that the contribution is tax-deductible. Ask an organization if they are a 501(c) 3 organization before you make a donation. All 501(c) 3 organizations can accept contributions and offer donors a tax deduction to the full extent of the law.
Through the selling of donated construction and home related items you can help:
- Increase the number of homes built with low-income families through Habitat for Humanity of Coastal Fairfield County.
- Prevent usable items from being put in landfills.
- Provide quality building materials and household items to the general public at discounted prices.
- Plus, we make it easy for you to donate.
Call today to schedule your donation. 203-383-4358 or fill out our online donation form.