Important Infomation About Working at the ReStore
What should I bring on my first day?
- Your paperwork from the court/case worker/school
- Your lunch or snack (optional)
When can I do my hours/how do I start?
- Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- You MUST schedule your shifts in advance with the Volunteer Coordinator, 203-383-4358
What should I wear?
- Comfortable, casual clothes that you can work in and don’t mind getting dirty (jeans, athletic pants/shorts, etc.)
- Closed-toe, closed-heel shoes such as athletic trainers or work boots.
- Jacket or sweater (the store is cold in the winter)
- Nametag (given to you by a staff member)
- See ReStore regulations for clothing that may NOT be worn.
What will I be doing?
- Tasks vary day to day, but will usually consist of general housekeeping (sweeping, cleaning up and organizing various departments, dusting, cleaning the break room and bathrooms, etc.). Other tasks include assisting with donations, loading and lifting furniture and building materials.
What should I do when I arrive to work?
- Stop at the cash register each time you arrive to sign in, and be sure to stop by to sign out when you leave. If you don’t sign out, the hours for that day will not count!
- Check the daily task list and begin working. A staff member will show you around on your first day.
ReStore Regulations for Appropriate Dress and Behavior:
- Park in front of the store, in the row closest to the street.
- Dress appropriately. No short shorts, belly shirts, anything that allows undergarments to show, tee shirts displaying profanity, beer or tobacco advertisements, or overly baggy clothing (it may interfere with your work). Please wear comfortable, casual clothing that you will not mind getting dirty. Dress appropriately for the weather. Closed-toed shoes are a must.
- Sign-in with ReStore staff upon your arrival, using the exact time. If you leave our premises for any reason, you must sign out and sign back in upon your return.
- Wear a volunteer nametag at all times (one will be given to you by ReStore staff)
- Five minute breaks are given, 1 per hour. You must inform ReStore staff at the beginning and ending of your break.
- Smoking is only permitted when you are on break. Move to the far end of the back parking lot and NEVER smoke around customers or ReStore entrances.
- Lunch is 30 minutes if you work longer than 4 hours. You must sign out if you are leaving the premises.
- Absolutely NO cell phones or head phones unless you are on break.
- Consult the list of tasks to be completed. As you complete each task, check it off from the list.
- You are not allowed to handle money or credit cards, discuss pricing with customers or loiter near the cashier’s area. Ask a ReStore staff member to handle these issues.
- You must wear the proper safety equipment at all times – work gloves, goggles, etc. You are not allowed to operate the forklift or our trucks.
- The ReStore does not accept all items people wish to donate. Examples: clothing, curtains, oil-based paint, cans of paint less than half full, toxic chemicals, single-pane windows, anything obviously broken. Check with a ReStore staff member if you are unsure.
- Return all tools, cleaning supplies and other equipment to its proper place when finished.